Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chic Cafe's

So what is a "Chic" Cafe????

They are those trendy cafes that offer gourmet sandwiches, soups, salads, desserts, breads, massages etc....OK I was kidding about the massages but that would be a novel idea. A nice back rub while your eating you turkey avocado sprout panini and reading your e-mail via their free wi-fi connection would really be productive!

My all time favorite is Panera Bread http://www.panerabread.com/

They are in every state except Utah of course but if you have spent any time traveling you will stumble onto one near any mall. The thing that makes them standout from most cafes is their.....you guessed it! Bread! You walk into one of their restaurants and the first thing you notice is all of the breads and pastries that cease your eyeballs and saliva glands as soon as you walk in. Cookies, cakes and muffins Oh my! and their orange scones are heavenly. But that is just the starter. Most of the places have sample bread out as you wait in line so you actually hope you will have some time to snack while you read the menu. My all time favorite combo is the Broccoli Cheddar soup with the Asiago Roast Beef. This combo makes me smile every time. The Broccoli soup is the best I've ever had. I always get the baguette as my side as its hard to sop up the soup with the apple. Their Tomato & Mozzarella panini is awesome for the non-meat lover.

I also have to mention their breads. Imagine going through the airport and in your carry-on luggage is a loaf of Asiago Cheese and Sesame Semolina. I did this a few times and the looks I got from the security personnel were amazing. I always had to say that we didn't have bread in Utah to deflect my embarrassment. I can only imagine now with the TSA protocol how intense their search would be on a guy sneaking bread out of their state.

Utah has some nice cafes of their own but the one that stands out to me is Zupas http://www.zupas.com/

I was recently turned onto this joint by a buddy of mine who was a chef at Deer Valley and I have always trusted his opinion. The first time there I had the Lobster Bisque and the Turkey Spinach Artichoke panini. Talk about a heavenly combo. The Lobster Bisque was the most unusual I have ever had. At most places it is creamy and smooth with small chunks of lobster which is good but this was chunkier which made it better. Just thinking of writing about Zupas today made me go back. Today I had the Wild Mushroom Bisque with the Turkey Bacon Avocado (see a pattern here?). The Mushroom Bisque should be outlawed. It was just as good as the lobster and for a fungus that is saying something. You can ask for a small taste of any of their soups while your in line so don't be shy in asking for all 10. The people behind you might get perturbed but they will usually ask you which one you liked the best. Just make sure you blow on them as I made the mistake of pounding my first sample right off the bat and burned my tongue. Not recommended. I'm not a big salad guy but about 5 ladies I was standing by in line ordered the Nuts About Berries salad. So you salad lovers give that a go and let me know what you think.

Two additional things about Zupas is you get a chocolate dipped strawberry for dessert and you can add flavors from their flavor bar to your soda. Nothing like a vanilla coke to wash it all down. I can't wait to try some of their desserts.

Now go hit the spa and then have lunch at one of these places as asking for a massage when you order could get you arrested......except in Vegas!

1 comment:

  1. another great deli type sandwich shop is Paradise Bakery...or for a non-chain place...Cafe Villa Bella in Ogden (right next to Baskin Robins on Harrison Blvd). Carson, you will not be dissapointed with their french dip sandwich!!! They also have delicious cupcakes! Tell Johny that Chauntelle sent you! Nice guy, nice place!! :)

    ReplyDelete