Friday, February 18, 2011

Historic 25th St. Ogden

A few months back I was in Madison Square Gardens Christmas Carol at Rogers Memorial Theater in Bountiful Utah as the part of Bob Cratchit. Mr. Scrooge was played by the very talented Nick Cash. We had good stage presence together and got along great. But what we really had in common was food. When I found out he was the owner of Bistro 258 in Ogden on historic 25th street I knew I had to check that place out. Some of the dishes he described during our run sounded emotional (emotional is the term I use for food that makes you want to cry from its goodness!). I had eaten at a few places on 25th like:

Roosters: http://roostersbrewingco.com/  awesome lunches like the pepper jack pasta. Can't go wrong.

Rovalis: http://www.rovalis.com/ ate there for my brother-in-laws wedding luncheon. Awesome Italian sandwiches.

Jasoh!: http://www.jasoh.com/ I first at at this place when they were in the old Mulboons location on Harrison but I love their place on 25th now. Had their prime grad top sirloin recently. Excellent!

So needless to say I felt very comfortable with my surroundings up there. You definitely step back in time when hanging out on 25th. Ogden had a wild past due to the train station that anchored the downtown area for 100 years. There are spooky tunnels that run under the city and you can do ghost walking tours there. I've got to do that as well.....but I digress.

Valentines was Monday and I had to get reservations so I gave Nick a call and he hooked me up. The place was hoping that night and they had a busy weekend with the holiday. The place is very trendy and comparable to the eating establishments in Park City or Jackson Hole. We asked our hostess, waiter and Nick what dishes they recommended. They gave us some great options. So we went with the spinach artichoke dip that was so cheesy we looked like we were hanging a spider web with every spoonful. Yummy!. My wife went with the coconut macadamian halibut and I went with the filet mignon. Both were spectacular. I would've gone with the garlic mash instead of the risotto however as the risotto was good but I liked my wife's garlic mash better. But before we even got to the main dish I had some of the best soup I have ever slurped. It was a Gorgonzola Mushroom soup and it was the kind of soup I used a few baskets of bread to sop up every last drop. My wife got the salad but she wished she would've gotten the soup as I could tell by her puppy dog eyes as I spooned every mouthful. It was Valentines day so I let her have TWO spoonfuls. What a nice husband right! I would definitely go on a night when they have that soup. The crem brulee was great as well for dessert.

http://bistro258.blogspot.com/

Great place. I will not wait until Valentines day to go back.

1 comment:

  1. We like 25th st as well. Roosters and The Union Grill!

    ReplyDelete