Thursday, February 24, 2011

Best Dessert EVER!

Best dessert ever!

How do I back that claim up?

First off I have enjoyed many great desserts from all over the world. I've had Swiss chocolate, Belgian pastries, French crapes, Mexican fried ice cream, Greek baklava etc. but there was one dessert that I spent 15 years searching for after the first time I had it. If something makes you search for it for so long it has to be great.

It all started on my LDS mission in Alberta Canada in 1990. My first area was in Red Deer. There were 4 of us missionaries in this awesome city. One Elder, Elder Southwick, was part of the other companionship. Early in the spring of 90 he received a package from his Grandmother back here in Utah. They were brownies. When he first pulled them out of the fridge for a district meeting I thought to myself why would someone go to all the trouble to send brownies by mail hundreds of miles away. That's one diligent Granny! They had grocery stores in Canada. Go buy some Duncan Heinz brownie mix and make them yourself. Duh! They were cut in little two inch squares and I thought I'm going to need 5 of them just to enjoy them. I took my little itsy bitsy brownie took one bite and was blown away. First off there was at least 5 caramels in each square and I love caramels. It was so rich and delicious I had to have a glass of milk just to wash one square down. Needless to say I became quite a pain in Elder Southwicks side as I bugged him for another square and then tried to get his grandmother to send me the recipe to no avail. I even thought about breaking into his apartment like Mission Impossible to get my hands on a few more. Just as I was starting a dangerous addiction I got transferred to another area and the mystery of the brownies lied dormant for 15 years.

That was until 2005 when I was at a neighborhood bunko party a few streets over from my house and the hostess pulled out these brownies. They were cut in 2 inch squares. I thought to myself "man those look familiar". When she started pulling them out and the caramel was stringing all over my heart skipped about two beats. My wife could see the hungry dog look in my eyes and wondered why I was so excited. The first bite I took transported me back through space and time to 'Oh Canada' so many years before. I immediately hounded the host for the recipe before she started the bunko game as I did not want to go another 15 years. I was pretty insistent. Almost Kramer Seinfeld insistent but she relented and I had the recipe in my grasp at long last. I have been adding insulation to my frame with these beauties consistently ever since.

Without further adieu I give you GERMAN CHOCOLATE CARAMEL BROWNIES:

1 box German chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup butter (real butter, please!)
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1    cup milk chocolate chips (no semi-sweet with these....trust me)

Caramel:
60  caramels (you heard me right! 60)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Mix cake mix, butter and condensed milk. Press half of mixture in greased 9X13 pan. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Melt caramels and condensed milk together on stove and pour mixture over hot brownies, sprinkle chocolate chips over caramel. Cover with remaining dough (finger press a nice thin layer) and bake for additional 15-18 min. CAREFUL NOT TO OVERCOOK! Let cool awhile so the caramels can set up and cut into small two inch squares. Taste great refrigerated.

I think we figured each square had about 11 grams of fat so do not over do it....if you can control yourself!

Chase with a gallon of milk and enjoy!

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment