Friday, February 11, 2011

Phoenix AZ.

My wife's best friend from Phoenix called the other night to say hi and in our conversation she mentioned it was 71 degrees. 71 DEGREES! How awesome would that be right now here in Utah where we haven't been over 50 since Thanksgiving. So I started thinking about some of my favorite eats in the valley of the sun. Some of the best HOT Mexican in all the land can be found there.

The first place that jumps to mind it Aunt Chilada's  http://www.auntchiladas.com/

This cantina, located in the middle of a business/residential neighborhood, is like an oasis in a desert. It is one of the most unique restaurants I've ever been to. Once inside you are transported to Cancun at some beach resort. They have done a great job blending their building into a true "Three Amigos" movie set. I need to start with the chips and salsa. They give a couple of different types of salsa which is nice as you want to have a good blend of hot and mild, green and red. But its the chips that still the show. They have your traditional corn tortilla chips but it's the tostada chips that are unique. It was the first restaurant I've ever had those as a chip. Usually they are sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I go with the Carnitas (Pork) burrito as the spices they marinate the pork in should be illegal. I love when the meat really stands on its own and is not lost in a ocean of cheese and sauce. Kudos to them! My wife's chicken spinach burrito was very good as well. Sort of a California Pizza kitchen twist to a burrito. Get there Chilli Relleno with your burrito in a combo if your really hungry. Can't go wrong there. If you haven't hurt yourself on too many chips and salsa, get their deep-fried ice cream. The best I've had. Make sure you go to their website and read about the history of the building. You could make a movie with that history alone. The line that kept going through my mind from the "Three Amigos" while I have eaten there is "Dusty, do you want to kiss me on the veranda" to which Chevy Chase replies "the lips will do"......classic!

A close second is Arriba Mexican Grill   http://www.arribamexicangrill.com/

It's a local Mexican chain but well worth the visit. The thing I like about the place is the colorful motif of their restaurants. Lots of nooks and crannies to get lost in and well place TVs for sports viewing. At least at the Phoenix location I visited. Pay close attention to their chili rating scale as the 3 chili dishes truly are 3 alarm hot! I love the Adobada Pizza. Its got a little bit of a kick but is a fun way to eat traditional ingredients. The Bandera Enchiladas are bursting with flavor from the chilis and queso sauce. There are enough menu items to please anyone in the family or your traveling group. For lunch get the Chili Verde. Nice size chunks of pork in a real hearty sauce. YUM YUM!

Now a warning when going to Phoenix. DO NOT GO IN AUGUST! I was there one year when it hit 117 degrees with monsoon thunderstorms that feel like a hot steamy blow dryer blowing on you. I literally felt like my skin was sliding off my bones. No joke! Your appetite will disappear and all you will want to do is drink slushy drinks. So try to go when you can actually go outside with out a trip to the dermatologist upon return.

There are other types of eating establishments I will mention in the future. Please let me know what you recommend from your visits and I hope you enjoy these.

No comments:

Post a Comment