Thursday, March 3, 2011

VIVA LAS VEGAS

Still winter here so I'm sticking with another warm lo-cal. Las Vegas!

I know Vegas gets a bad rep from a lot of people. You either have a great time there or you don't. There really isn't any middle ground. The locals stay off the strip and the tourists very rarely leave it. But when your there on business you learn to get around this great city and live in both worlds. There is so much to see, do and EAT!

I'm going to spot light 4 restaurants in this blog. These were always on my rotation during my week long business trips as well as vacations. Two on the strip and two off of it. I picked these four as they are very diverse and should give you some nice choices on your next visit.

Strip:

Trevi at The Forum Shopping at Caesars Palace:   http://www.trevi-italian.com/

This Italian restaurant is a taste of Rome in Las Vegas. It's one of the few places you can order just about anything on the menu and you will not be disappointed. They give you an excellent olive tapenade with your bread while you wait. I scored the tapenade recipe off our waiter the first time I was there so I will share it with all of you soon. Of all of the dishes I have had there the one that rises to the top is the Fazolleto Trevi. There is no meat in this dish but the flavor is strong and bold. Fresh pasta sheets with spinach and ricotta in a wild mushroom sauce. Terrifico!!! Now some people do not like mushrooms......I don't know who they are but if you don't go with the Chicken Cannelloni. Save room for the Tiramisu Gelato to finish it off. Then you will be ready to wander around the awesome shops and hit the water light show at the Billagio.

Taqueria Canonita at The Venetian:    http://www.canonita.net/

For a place located deep within the Venetian it is well worth the walk off the strip. This is not your typical Mexican restaurant. It has a very local menu flavor. I have never been to Mexico City but some of the entrees look to be right out of the great city. You have to go with the Santa Rosa Barbacoa de Puero. Check this out. Marinated pork slowly marinated in a banana leaf with cilantro rice, beans and chipolte barbecue sauce. You will have nothing like it out side of Mexico.....I guess. Tres Taco is not a bad call either as you get the best of three worlds in one meal.

Off the strip:

Paymon's Mediterranean:    http://www.paymons.com/med_main.html

If you have never had a Kabob you have to go to Paymon's and try all of them. The spices they use should be illegal. I love the Broiled Kabob trio which is chicken, lamb and beef. The thing I love about Mediterranean/Greek/Indian food is it hardly anything is deep fried. You actually can order so many things on the menu and feel good about it. I've had good and bad Moussaka and Pastitsio but they have some of the best I've had. I wish they had their market near my home here as I would love to make my own some day. If you are there at lunch time get a side of their Athens fries. Yummy! Did I mention they HARDLY have anything deep fried. Be naughty. Order them. What happens in Vegas..............

Lindo Michoacan:     http://www.lindomichoacan.com/

On my most recent visit this place was referred to me by my manager and it was awesome. Talk about some hot salsa and some even hotter dishes but this is a local favorite and if the locals like it you will like it. Right! My waitress recommended the #16 Polo Con Rajas y Crema and I almost hugged her after that recommendation.....come to think of it I did. It is not your typical Mexican chicken dish. It is a creamy sauce but works very well as opposed to your traditional enchilada sauces. I visited the West Flamingo restaurant but they have a few more locations scattered around the city.

Now put on your Elvis hair and you ladies your flamingo outfits and eat well!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Next time you come to Vegas - eat at Los Tacos. BEST MEXICAN PLACE HERE! And - we can go with you :)

    Mary Rodgers Eagar

    ReplyDelete