Saturday, March 26, 2011

Seattle, WA.

Ahh Seattle!

One of my favorite family vacations was to Washington and Victoria back in 83. I was totally enamored with the Space Needle and the downtown area. I just love a town on the water. Being from Utah where it only rains in the spring I enjoy a wet, rainy Seattle when I visit as it seems normal. That is probably why Seattlans love their coffee shops. I love the food in Seattle most of all. Lots of trendy cafes and world wide cuisine. Of course the seafood is caught that day and delivered to all of the restaurants in the city proper. Your search for great food should start at Pikes Place Market  http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/ . Not only do they have there own eating establishments but there are some excellent choices within a few blocks walking distance. Before eating however sit and watch the fish market workers fling seafood all over the place to waiting customers. It is truly a site to behold. In the half dozen times I've been there I've only seen them drop one fish. An immediate discount of coarse. Now onto the food.

The Elephant & Castle Pub & Restaurant:    http://www.elephantcastle.com/
 
This place took me back to the pubs we visited on our tour through Europe in 96. Lots of wood and old English charm. It is a national chain so check out another location in another city if you can. My favorite meal here is the Roast Beef stuffed Yorkshire Pudding. If you have ever had Yorkshire pudding you will love this meal. If you haven't you need to experience this English delight. I had it quite a few times on my mission in Canada and it is truly an art making it well. I have also had the Guinness Stew which was thick, meaty and delicious. There menu has a little of everything for everyone so branch out and see what you like.

The Pink Door:      http://thepinkdoor.net/

My work associate and I were just wandering around the city and actually stumbled on this place by accident. But after reading the menu we were sold. The Paglia E Fieno was my pasta of choice. A fettuccine with wild mushrooms in a light cream sauce. The Straccato Al Barolo is braised beef so tender you can cut it with a finger (fork is to cliche).

Elliott's Oyster House:    http://www.elliottsoysterhouse.com/

There are tons of seafood places to eat along the pier just down from Pikes Place but my favorite is Elliotts. Now I don't have a lot of experience with oysters. My director at work who is from New York is a Oyster connoisseur and can run down dozens of different types. You do not have to get oysters here if you do not want to. But try some as an appetizer. I can't remember the ones I had so ask your server for their favorite. My meal of choice was the Pesto Clam Linguine. There is something about good pasta and seafood that just work well together. I was worried that the clams would be rubbery like some clam chowders I have eaten (mostly out of can) but I was mistaken. Fresh clams prepared right have a great texture and these were some of the best I've eaten. You have to get their Dungeness Crab Cakes as well. Soft and full of flavor.

These are just a few of my favorites downtown. I was able to eat at a few locals all over the city so I will address those in a future blog. It helps when you know someone who had family in an area as they will know where the locals eat.

For desserts you have to have a peach scone. A scone is like a giant cookie in Seattle and not Native American fry bread that we are used to in the west. But get one of these with your favorite coffee or hot chocolate (in my case) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment