Thursday, January 27, 2011

Farfalle with Tomatoes and Corn

Good weekend!

I told you that from time to time I would share some recipes with you that I find are worth the type. This past week the Mrs. and me were trying to think of a new way to get our kids to eat pasta. They were getting sick of spaghetti and mac&cheese. I thought if we used a different noodle it might spice it up and seem like a new meal. With kids ranging from 5-12 it's hard to find one thing they all like. We decided to use a box of Barilla Piccolini Mini Farfalla as the little bow ties might pique the kids interest. On the back of the box was a recipe for "Mini Farfala with Tomatoes and Corn". We looked at the ingredients and figured out we had everything it required and thought what the heck. My wife cooked up some chunks of chicken that we could throw in and it was awesome. It reminded me of a light lunch pasta you would get at most Italian restaurants. So here it is:
  • 1 box Barilla Piccolini Mini Farfalle
  • 28 ounce can diced tomatoes or 2 pounds plum tomatoes (we used the canned but I bet it tastes great with the fresh tomatoes)
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp chopped onion (I prefer yellow)
  • 1 15 ounce can of corn drained
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
  • 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
PLACE the fresh tomatoes (if using plum tomatoes) in boiling water for 30-60 seconds to blanch; peel the skin, remove the seeds and chop.....come to think of it that's why we elected to go with the canned, allot easier! SAUTE onion in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes COOK pasta according to package directions ADD tomatoes to skillet and simmer for 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper ADD corn and simmer for 2 minutes DRAIN pasta and toss with sauce STIR in cheese and basil before serving.

This will make a huge bowl that you can heat up again latter in the week and add another meat like some Italian sausage, salty prosciutto or sirloin steak like I did with our left over steak from Maddox that I couldn't finish on my birthday.

Get some garlic bread and a salad to throw on the side and chase it with a nice cold Coke. Num, num!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment