Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ames, IA.

Of all of the places to choose to blog about your wondering why Ames??? That's what I thought the first time I went there for work. I knew about Des Moines but I hadn't heard anything about Ames which is about 45 minutes north. With all of the tornado's slamming the Midwest and South recently it reminded me of the time I was in Ames when some pretty nasty looking storms were rolling through. The storms get so black and the wind just starts blowing in any direction. Crazy!

But back to the food. This little college town (home to the Iowa Stat Cyclones) has a lot to offer in national cuisine. Here are a few of my favorites.

Hickory Park:     http://www.hickoryparkames.com/

If you are ever within 100 miles of Ames you must stop here. Everyone who has ever been there knows about Hickory Park. It is a great BBQ restaurant with amazing prices. My menu item of choice is the Barbecue Dinner and Chicken. You get beef, pork, turkey and 1/4 chicken for about $10. You cannot beat that anywhere and all of the meat is great. Did I mention you get two sides and some hot rolls. Make sure you save a little room for a scoop or two of their ice cream. I love the Strawberry Shortcake. Simple but delicious. You will be able to build it how you like it so the skies the limit.

Dublin Bay Pub:     http://www.dublinbayames.com/

I must say that I do not seek out Irish or Scottish food when I'm on the road as I figure you would have to drink a lot of beer in order to eat the food. There just isn't anything exotic about the food. But hold the presses. I gave this place a try and enjoyed every minute of it. Go with the Guiness Beef Boxty. A potato pancake filled with peas, carrots, beef, onions and gorgonzola cheese sauce. NUMMY!

Maude's:     http://www.auntmaudesames.com/

When you want to step up and spend a little more money that is totally worth it this is your stop in Ames. The Chili Cured Filet is awesome. The meat is as soft as the garlic mashed potato's. For pasta go with the Tequila Chicken Fettuccine. The sauce makes this dish scream for delight in your mouth. Their French Onion Soup is some of the best I've had so make sure to get that as a starter.

A couple of honorable mentions are Olde Main Brewing Company, The Spice (Thai Cuisine) and Carolos O'Kelly's Mexican Cafe.

I told you they had a lot of different international eats didn't I. So on your way back east if you on a major roady stop by this cool little town with a great college feel and check out my recommendations.

And if there are dark clouds are brewing hunker down and be careful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment