Saturday, June 18, 2011

San Francisco, CA.

About 12 years ago the wife and I and a few business associates made a pilgrimage up to Banff, Alberta, Canada for a little trip. Upon arriving at the Banff Springs Hotel (The coolest Hotel in the world) the courtesy worker who was helping us with our luggage asked what room we were staying in, we told him one of the corner wings on one of the floors and he responded with "That's the one Michelle Pfeiffer always stays in". Needless to say I was ecstatic. I laid there all night in bed saying to my wife "I'm sleeping in the bed Michelle Pfeiffer slept in....I'm sleeping in the bed Michelle Pfeiffer slept in" to which I finally got a shot in the ribs! HA!

What does that story have to do with San Francisco?

Fast forward to 2008 and a co-worker and I are in San Fran and someone at the office told us about this restaurant called The Boulevard that wasn't too far from our hotel down by the pier so we hoofed it down there and as we're walking along and locate the place who do I happen to see eating dinner and facing out towards the bay???? Michelle Pfeiffer. I asked Mark (my co-worker) "is that who I think it is" and he pretended to look at another building without looking to obvious and confirmed my thought as well. We both pretended to look at the adjacent building for a few minutes, which was obvious. I must say she is very stunning even while eating.

So without further adue I give you my top picks in the city by the bay:

The Boulevard Restaurant:     http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/

The first night we tried this place we didn't really know the dress code so wear business casual or you will feel out of place. The place gets packed so get a reservation as well. We didn't know this but the workers at the front desk made us an inpromtu table by the bar which was very kind of them. I went with the Grilled Local King Salmon. Talk about a fresh fish. It was so light and flavorful and the squash and mushrooms were a great addition to the flavor of the dish. Of course make sure you do not tank up on the sourdough bread. The bread in San Fran rivals bread from anywhere. I went with the Wood Fired Pork Prime Rib Chop a few nights later and it was a great contrast to the Salmon. I can't wait to go back!!! and see Michelle Pfeiffer! HA!

The Fly Trap Restaurant:     http://zareflytrap.com/

Don't let the name of the place gross you out. I didn't and I'm grateful. This place has major charm and a very cozy feel to it. The little tables and arrangement made me feel like I was back east in a little pub. Get the Pistachio Meatballs as a starter. I could've made a meal out of those they were that good. I went out of my comfort zone of beef or fish and went with the lamb. They have two lamb dishes however and I can't remember which one I had but it was not gamy to say the least and very tender. I know my co-worker enjoyed his Beef Short Ribs so I'm going for those when I go back. Didn't see Michelle Pfeiffer here! Sorry!

Kuleto's Authentic San Fran Italian:     http://www.kuletos.com/

Italian is one of those food nationalities that really is hard to screw up. Every non chain place I've eaten at has had very unique ways of preparing their pasta's that get handed down from one generation to the next. Where I think they differ is in the sauces. There are so many different ways to prepare a sauce but use the right spices and whammo, you've got a master piece. The sauce used on their Linguine dish is TO DIE FOR. No lie. It was so good. The clams were very tender and everything worked here. I'm sure Michelle Pfeiffer has eaten here???

So there you have my taste of San Fran and my affection for Michelle Pfeiffer. I'm sure I will get another shot in the ribs after my wife reads this but it's worth it! Maybe. Of course you can't go wrong eating at any of the establishments at Fisherman's Warf or Pier 39. Just make sure to get your share of seafood and bread as you can walk off the carbs by skipping the trolley ride back to your hotel and walk!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment