Tuesday, April 9, 2013

San Jose, CA.

Ah San Jose!

This town holds one of my most bizarre memories. I experienced my first earthquake tremor while attending a business training here. There we were getting some good instruction when the chandeliers started swaying and the ground felt like someone was flipping a rug under my feet. It only lasted for about 10 seconds but the low rumble was crazy. So why not mention some of my favorite places to eat in this fault line city (don't quote me on that, I have no researched fault lines in the area).

I was really impressed with the city and the array of ethnic food choices downtown. Although we were staying aways outside of the downtown area at the Dolce Hayes Hotel (which is an awesome place to stay by the way) we would make our trip into town each night. 



One of my favorite spots downtown is:

Don Pedro's Restaurant -      http://www.yelp.com/biz/don-pedros-restaurant-san-jose

There was nothing visually aesthetic with this place but the food was great and it was within walking distance of a few areas of interest. The chips and salsa were really good with free refills, which is becoming more rare in metro cities these days. I had the their chile verde with their excellent homemade tortillas. Then I would dip them in the beans. It was so good we went back twice.

It was recommended while we were there to take a quick drive out to Santa Cruz boardwalk and eat at one of the places on the water. We ended up at a great place right on the wharf called Gilda's.

Gilda's:      http://gildas-restaurant.com/

It doesn't matter where you are at in the California inland you must make a trip to any of the coastal towns and have seafood. It is just better when it is caught that day and served fresh.  Go with the Fisherman's Catch in a Basket and the sample basket. I really cannot recall all of the seafood in my basket but I know there were clams. I know, not much to go on, but well worth the price as all of it was really good. Its easy to share so you can try something else. Like the Pacific Red Snapper. Great mild flavor for those that have an aversion to strong flavored fish. Their french bread is warm and fresh which is also a must at these places.

I also recommend the Dolce Hayes for its food, service and possible ghost sitings. We stayed in the newer convention wing but my associates that stayed in the old house rooms said they had that sixth sense feeling.

I've got to go back and give it a go!




No comments:

Post a Comment