Thursday, February 16, 2012

Phoenix AZ. (Part 2)

I can't believe its been a year since I wrote about a few of my favorite eats in Phoenix!

In case you didn't know but Phoenix is a big city. Shocker right!

There are so many great places to eat. From the greater Phoenix area to Scottsdale and trough Mesa you will not lack in variety. I've been to Phoenix over a dozen times and traversed all over the metro area looking for some establishments that meet with my road eating commandments.

One of my favorite trips took us out to the Superstitious mountains and a cool little ghost town called Goldfield Goldmining town where you will learn about the Lost Dutchman's gold. We then ventured on to Canyon Lake which is nestled between some amazing rock formations and tons of sequoia cactus.

I've also ventured down to see my Cowboys take on the Cardinals. I was able to stay at the Ritz Carlton where the team stayed and got to see some of the players. I had Jerry Jones and a bunch of players sign a hat. Awesome!

But enough about my vacations and onto the food. Try a few of these the next time your down there.

Tortilla Flat Restaurant and Saloon:     http://tortillaflataz.com/oldwesttown/restaurant.html

As you head east of Mesa on your way out to Canyon Lake head a little further to this cool town. Eating at this place really is like walking into an old time saloon you see in all of those westerns. The food is worth the drive as well. There are a lot of things to get but I recommend the Hot Cheese Fries and a cup of their Killer Chili to start. Dip your fries in the chili as if you get the chili cheese fries you cannot control the heat. I went with the Bullrider burger with the strips of green chili. Talk about a gut bomb but it will give you energy for a few days. Wash it down with some Sarsaparilla. Just don't head right to the lake afterwards as you will sink to the bottom.

Flo's Asian Kitchen:     http://www.madebyflo.com/

On one business trip I was staying on Camel Back road and asked of few of the hotel staff where I could get the best Chinese food and a few of them recommended Flo's. Strange name I know but were they right! Their Hot and Sour soup is the best I've ever had and I'm usually an Egg Drop guy. The Spicy Thai Coconut Soup was awesome as well so make sure you go with someone so you can try a few of them. I was with a few people on our trip so may I recommend the Pine nut Shrimp, Katsu Chicken, Malaysian Cashew Beef and the Singapore BBQ Pork Noodles. You can thank me later! For dessert if you have room in your foot try the Banana Spring Rolls.

The Armadillo Grill:     http://www.myarmadillogrill.com/

This place is like a cross between a Wolfgang Puck restaurant and sports bar. The food is awesome so don't let the surroundings fool you. I'm usually not a tomato soup kind of guy as it is usually a little to tart for me as far as soups go but you have to get a cup of their Rustic Tomato Soup. It is hearty with a flavor that will blow your mind. Then go with the Thai Chicken Skewers. The peanut sauce is awesome and really makes this appetizer or main dish memorable. Make sure to go with the Asian Slaw as a side with the Skewers. I love their Philly Cheese Steak for lunch and their Pork Chops for dinner.

Oregeno's Pizza Bistro:     http://www.oreganos.com/index_main.html

My wife's best friend recommended this place and I have been in her debt ever since. This is a local chain around Arizona and I hope it comes to Utah soon. Start with their Bruschetta Authentico. Talk about a flavor explosion. You will be happy with any pizza. They really have perfected all three styles of crust (thin, stuffed or pan) but because its a Chicago pizza joint you have to go pan. But what ever you do you must save room for the Original Pizza Cookie. I'm going to warn you again. YOU MUST SAVE ROOM FOR THE PIZZA COOKIE. We were full but as soon as we started pounding this food of the gods we found room. We went with the chocolate chip and we can't wait to get back and try the white chocolate.

So there you have a few more places to add in Phoenix if you haven't tried my previous recommendations. Just make sure to sprinkle in some golf at their amazing courses and it will be a trip of a life time.

But just like I did last year try to avoid July through September unless you are into weight and water loss. It should be illegal to settle a town where it can get to 120 degrees.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment