Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Heber Valley, UT.

Wow! a whole month has gone by. You would've thought I had given up eating out. NOT!

It seems like the last quarter of a year is eaten up with one holiday after another. The kids are in fast forward from all of the treats and even though it's a crazy time I do like the company, family and neighborhood parties however and there are plenty of opportunities to eat out at some new restaurants with these gatherings.

Over the past month I visited the Heber Valley (Heber City and Midway) a couple of times and I have a few places to recommend. You don't even have to be Swiss to enjoy them. However if you ever get the chance to attend Swiss days in Midway I highly recommend it. It is the closest thing to visiting Switzerland without the high cost of air fare.

Let's start with Midway:

Tarahumara Comida Mexicana:     http://www.tarahumara.biz/

Have I mentioned you have to have good chips and salsa to be considered a great Mexican restaurant in my book. Well how about 20 fresh salsas made fresh every day. You can spend at least a half hour trying all of them but a few of my favorites are the mango and green chile salsas. Try mixing a few of them together as well as some are really hot so you might need to cross the streams to tame them a little. I recommend the Pork Loin Chile Verde. They are large tender chunks and the flavor is excellent. They give you a hearty portion of all of their entrees so try to lighten up on the chips and salsa. Their desserts are killer as well so save room to share one. The fruit tart I've had was huge and very flavorful.

Cafe Galleria:     http://www.cafegalleriapizza.com/

I spent a few weeks traveling through Europe after graduating from college and during our three stops in Italy I was able to eat a lot of nice Italian dishes. I remember the pizza most of all. It was really thin and it didn't look like there was much to it but man did it have a lot of flavor. This little joint has the pizza that I remember eating in Florence. I usually get the Americano pizza which has pepperoni. Again it is flat and not much to look at but their wood fire stove captures all of the flavor and holds onto it. You also have to share a few of the giant meat balls in their excellent marinara sauce.

Heber City:

Dairy Keen:     http://www.dairykeen.com/

No stop to Heber is complete without a stop here. This is one of the coolest places you will ever eat. Of course it is complete with train motif to pull the Heber Creeper tourists in but the diner food is 2nd to none. Now let me make a confession. I'm a mayo guy. Not a miracle whip guy. I have never liked the sweet taste of miracle whip. So the first time I visited this place a lot of their sandwiches had miracle whip on them. I was leery to say the least. But I tried their turkey sub, with miracle whip, and it worked. I was as shocked as any one. They also have a killer Ranch Burger and of course you will need to try the original Train Burger. Get one of their shakes as well to wash it all down and then go run a mile or two for the guilt you will feel afterwards.

So there you have it. When you are fed up driving up and down I-15 all of the time take time out when your traveling between Salt Lake and Provo to take Hwy 40 through this quaint little valley and tell me if you agree with these selections. Make sure to let me know your favorites up there as well.

As the Swiss say "We like our chocolate and cheese with holes in it!".....I'm sure some Swiss person has said this before.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment